Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Elf on the Shelf

I was seeing all the posts on Pinterest and Facebook about this Elf on the Shelf... What is this?  I LOVE traditions.......and I need to start a new one since my children are getting older.  A few traditions I do every year are:

The 12 days of Christmas for both of my children.  I set up a pink Barbie tree in their rooms and wrap 12 small gifts to place under them.  (The gifts are getting more expensive as they age and I didn't think about that when they were smaller but too late now). They look forward to it every year and I love when they open a gift.  We start on December 12th and work our way up to December 24th.

On Christmas Eve we always open a gift.  Guess what it is?  No surprise.... It's ALWAYS new jammies.  Everyone in the house gets new jammies to sleep in.  Yay, for me.  Last year I got jammies AND slippers ;)

We always make gingerbread houses and whiskey cake the 3rd week in December..... The whiskey cakes goes over well as gifts for the nurses at my hubby's workplace.  Stay tuned for the deets on the whiskey cake later on this month.

So back to this elf- Apparently its a long time tradition that an elf is placed on a shelf and when you go to bed it reports back to Santa on good and bad.  When the child wakes up in the morning the elf is in a different place in the house watching you. You ARE NOT ALLOWED to touch it.  I thought Ashley was going to break out in tears when she opened the box and touched the elf on accident.  She screamed, "oh no!  Its magical powers are gone!"   haha, no, I'm not exaggerating!  Our elf is named Lily.  I love the book that comes with it because you can write your family name, your elf name and when he/she entered your life.  I plan to do a little scrapbook of her adventures and place in the back of the book.


So for the last few nights I have had to sneak down stairs to find a "good" spot for Lily.  Its getting harder and harder because I literally have 3 minutes to do this while Ashley takes her shower at night.  Here are a few places Lily has shown up:


I'll keep you up to date on Lily's adventures as I try to find new places for her. Ashley seems to find her every morning and the squeal in her voice makes me happy that I started another tradition in this house.  

Happy Holidays!

No comments: